Welcome to the Extension resources section of the UF HBREL website. Our efforts are varied, yet focused into three distinct areas: beekeeper extension, African bee extension, and general honey bee extension.
Whats that insect in my bee hive?
We have created a basic visual guide to some common insects you may see in and around your beehive. Check it out here!
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services provides hive registration, inspection and more. Please use the links below for easy access to their services.
Cottage Food Law Information
Click here for an informational brochure produced by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
- Bottling, Labeling and Selling Honey in Florida - EDIS document summarizing bottling and labeling law in FL
Honey & Beekeeping Related Regulations
New! Apiary Rulemaking Draft and Sample Beekeeper Compliance Agreement via FDACS - click here to be linked to the site, look for Hot Topics!
UF HBREL publishes documents under the UF/IFAS Electronic Data Information Source (EDIS) on beekeeping and honey bee-related topics. Please see below for selected articles.
- All EDIS topics in beekeeping
- Swarm Control for Managed Beehives
- Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) in Honey Bees
- Chalkbrood Recommendations
- Florida Bears and Beekeeping
- Mosquito Control and Beekeepers
- Observation Hives
- Protecting Honey Bees from Pesticides
- Sample Pollination Agreement
- Small Hive Beetle
Founded in 1996, Featured Creatures provides in-depth profiles of insects, nematodes, arachnids and other organisms. The site is a cooperative venture of the University of Florida's Entomology and Nematology Department and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services' Division of Plant Industry. Here are links to HBREL's contributions to the site:
Please visit HBREL's video page for links and downloadable "A Video Field Guide to Beekeeping" series by Dr. Jamie Ellis.
HBREL Lab Staff
- African Honey Bee Extension & Education Program (AFBEE)
- Pollinator Habitat Installation Guides
- EDIS (Electronic Data Information Source): search for honey bee related articles and more
- Featured Creatures: in-depth insect profiles
- UF Pest Alert: get the latest pest news in Florida
- Florida Mosquito Control Districts