Whats New at The HBREL?
- 2014 4-H Beekeeping Essay Contest announced.
- October-December Issue of the Melitto Files Available here.
- UF Bee College dates: March 7-8 2014. More info available early December 2013. Check back then!
- Caribbean Bee College dates: May 26-30 2014. More info available soon.
- South Florida Bee College dates: August 15-16 2014. More info available in the Spring.
The HBREL's Mission
...is to improve the health and productivity of honey bee colonies in Florida and globally by investing in research projects focusing on honey bee husbandry, ecology, behavior, and conservation. We also maintain an active research program focused on native pollinator ecology and conservation. The results from our research programs are communicated to clientele groups via targeted and multi-faceted extension efforts, thereby enhancing the sustainability of beekeeping and native pollinators and the agricultural/ ecological communities both support. Finally, undergraduate and graduate students can receive mentoring, training, and instruction in many areas related to honey bee and native pollinator research, thus ensuring a future generation of educators, researchers, conservationists and more.
Honey Bee Lab Staff
Dr. Jamie Ellis
Assoc. Professor of Entomology